The Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Philippines is a professional organization dedicated to the advancement of the internal audit profession in the country. Our members, who work in internal auditing, risk management, governance, internal control, information technology audit, education and security, came from various industry or sectors in the Philippines and belong to a global network of almost 190,000 professionals from more than 170 countries and territories sharing a common vision of a global profession of internal auditing.
The Institute of Internal Auditors Philippines Inc. (IIAP) was registered with SEC in 1982 and formerly known as The Institute of Internal Auditors, Inc. – Manila Chapter. It was founded on August 14, 1948 by Mr. Santiago F. Dela Cruz Sr. along with a small group of accountants actively engaged in the profession. Mr. Dela Cruz, who is considered to be the moving spirit of the association, is the same man who, two years earlier than IIAP, co-established the Philippine College of Commerce and Business Administration (PCCBA) which we now know as the University of the East.
The IIAP despite some struggles during its formative years was able to attain full-fledged stature as a professional association upon earning its “Institute” status from The Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA Global) in 1990. At the time, IIAP is 1 of the 6 (six) chapters in the Pacific Region (others were in Bombay, Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne and Ceylon). On its 75th Anniversary Celebration and Global Business Meeting last 16-17 July 2016 at New York Hilton Midtown, the IIAP was acknowledged as the 3rd Chapter organized by the IIA Global since the latter’s founding in 1941 still then headquartered in New York City, USA.
From a small office space of 28 square meters in early 1990s, the IIAP (over 20-years later) now owns a 187-sqm.-area office unit where the Institute can hold a small-group workshops & trainings, volunteer/core group or management business meetings. The office unit, which also houses its Secretariat, has a library & a 3-unit CBT (computer-based-testing) facility for its members’ use and learning opportunity.
With a little over 2,600 members todate and on its 69th year in operation, the Institute remains true to its mission since 1948—the development & promotion of internal auditing—with its current vision of being-globally recognized and valued IA professionals indispensable to effective governance, risk-management and control.