The candidate who scored the highest in the CIA exam will receive the William S. Smith Award, named in honor of William S. Smith, CIA, The IIA’s first Chairman of the Board of Regents, a former IIA Chairman of the Board, and a driving force behind the development of the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) program.
Awards are based on individual performance on the core CIA exam parts (parts 1, 2, and 3). With year-round testing, award recipients must pass each exam part on their first attempt within one year of taking the first exam part.
- William S. Smith Award – Gold
- AJ Hans Spoel Ward – Silver
- Kurt Riedener Award – Bronze
- Dr. Glenn Summers Award – Student
- The next 10 top scorers are recognized for their achievements with Certificate of Excellence.
- The IIA also recognized the next top 50 highest scores with a Certificate of Honor.
- The IIA also recognizes those who scored the highest on the specialty exams.